Monday, May 18, 2009

Tender Hearted


One of the greatest joys of being a parent is when I get a glimpse of my own child showing compassion for others.  I want my children to have a heart like Jesus, and admittedly there are times when I try to force it into them.  But the truly sweet moments are when they show compassion all on their own.  

We have taken our children to Africa.  They have seen the poor, the hungry, the homeless.  They have been to "street church" where we handed out bowls of rice and beans to people wearing filthy rags for clothing.  But it has been 3.5 years and their memories are fading (Dane's are gone, but Genevieve still has some). We talk regularly about those without food, clean water, homes, or even parents to care for them.  I just want them to get it.  I don't want to raise another generation with a sense of entitlement.  With only selfish ambitions.  

So it is mornings like today that give me hope.    

Genevieve had turned the TV on before school in hopes to catch a cartoon before we had to leave.  But instead of Super Why coming right on, the channel was turned to a one of the promos for sponsoring children.  It showed little sick children, with the flies on their faces and bloated bellies.  

In a solemn voice she asked me "mom, are those the poor kids in Africa we talk about?".  I answered that they were.  Then I decided to go about my business getting her lunch made, and let her take it all in.  She sat and watched the program in the other room.  As we were packing up to leave she showed me a container full of change and told me that was the money for the people without food.  She then wanted to know if we had more money we could give them.  I suggested we try to raise some money to send them.  She asked "like a lemon-aid stand?"  She was referring to our failed attempt from last summer.  So I think we are all ready to try doing this again.  And thinking of other ways to raise money too.  

And that my friends, makes a mama's heart swell with pride.  Pride in a good way.  For just a moment I think all will be right in the world if this is what the next generation will be like.  

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Amazing!! I love that! My son went around to our neighbors in a Giant Twinkie costume to reaise money for sponsorship in Africa! made my heart glad! So fun!

_________________________
Extreme Makeover: Jesus Edition

Because I am leaving a comment on your page, that means I am a “follower” of your story I am not a random person just posting for posting sake.

I don’t know if this breaks blog etiquette or something. But I am risking it anyway.

I have posted a blog called “Extreme Makeover: Jesus Edition” about a family that needs our help.

Go, read, if you feel led.

Side note: for you adoption/foster advocates, there is another post that is “messing” with me if you care to check it out and comment. It is the previous post and it is called “Living Freely: Foster Care and THE CHURCH”

Hear my heart fellow bloggers, I am seeking nothing selfishly. Just trying to do the will of the ONE who sent me. Praise the Lord!

Dearest Jessica said...

What a sweet girl with a sweet heart!