Saturday, August 2, 2008

Inspired, to say the least

God has been preparing me for tonight's message. I've been moved. For quite some time I have had this all-consuming feeling of "not enough". I simply wasn't doing enough in the face of world hunger, the AIDS epidemic, child trafficking, modern day slavery, child soldiers, etc. There is so much corruption in this world that has forced people into unthinkable circumstances, horrific abuse and unimaginable deaths. I've laid awake many nights wondering how I, a nobody stay-at-home-mom could make a difference. It's overwhelming. It's daunting. It's scary to think that I am making a choice to take it on. Because with this choice, comes a whole new perspective. It's been something I've been processing for a while now. It's letting go of the "me & mine". My world, and all the details that I have put so much energy into, truly are insignificant when compared to the world's injustices. How can I worry about the huge stain on our new rug, when children this very minute are being sold into the sex slave trade? How can I spend one more ounce of energy thinking about my outgrown highlights or outdated wardrobe, when there are child soldiers forced by rebel groups to perform heinous crimes against one another? When I know that 25,000 children are dying EACH day from malnutrition? This is a dangerous road to go down. It is going to be a tricky process to find balance between my life as it is now, and the actions I am being called to. I don't know what all this means right now. But I'm putting it out there in writing. I am being called, and I will obey.

Tonight at Cornerstone we had a guest speaker - Gary Haugen from International Justice Mission.
He was a Washington DC lawyer who was sent to Rwanda after the genocide. 800,000 people were killed in the course of 8 weeks. Gary was there to prosecute the perpetrators. Part of this process was going through the thousands of corpses, and interviewing the survivors. It was during these interviews that he understood God's call for us to stand against injustice.

International Justice Mission is rescuing people. They are taking legal actions through the courts to free them from their oppressors. They have rescued children from brothels, widows who have been forced off their land, child slaves, and many many more. Please check out their website to see all that they are doing.

On Tuesday October 14th there will be a BENEFIT DINNER at the Fairmont in San Francisco (there will be others nationwide too, check the website). We will be going - and I'm planning on being a table host as well. If you would like to go and be at my table, leave a comment in this post. (Leave a comment even if you aren't going - just to say hi if nothing else!). The cost is $100/person. I believe this will be an eye-opening if not a life-changing event.

I'm tired of sending checks. For every worth-while cause out there, the answer always seems to be to send a check. This is one of the first times I am EXCITED about sending a check. And also finding out what I can do beyond sending money. I think this is one of those times where we NEED to inform society about what is happening in the rest of the world (and here too), and take a united stand that we will not let this go on anymore. We can no longer burry our heads in the sand. If we won't stand up for these people, these children, who will?


So there it is. For everyone to see. Now I HAVE to do something :)

Please come back to see where God leads me. And please pray about how He can use you. Because now you know too.

1 comment:

Melissa :) said...

I don't know you. I've found you thru my blog which I do believe you found thru Jody's blog.

I am so proud of you. I'm so proud of what you're doing.

You know what else? God is so proud. God is so proud of you! He is smiling down on you.

Keep on truckin', girl. God Bless You! :)