Sunday, August 3, 2008

Changes

I know these are small changes, but they are something, and I want to move with my momentum.
I am going to resist the fashion frenzy. It's such a waste of resources. Time, energy and money. Those of you that know me are probably getting a little worried right about now. There really isn't much fat to cut in that area of my life. Sometimes I am barely above the long braids and homemade smocks our sisters on the compounds wear. Even so, I find myself thumbing through magazines and checking out what Hollywood has deemed worthy for this season, and sometimes even make a lame attempt to "be in style". So the first thing I am going to do, is not buy the magazines (which I don't very often anyways). The funny thing is I randomly started receiving Glamour magazine about 3 months ago. I didn't subscribe to it. I mean really, I'm 32 with 3 kids, and I don't think I have even looked at that magazine in like a decade. After the 2nd one came I started to get paranoid that someone in my life thought that I looked THAT bad, and thought if they sent me this magazine I would get some fashion tips out of it. I don't think that anymore (although here's your chance to fess up whoever you are!), but I still don't know where it came from. So I'm just going to recycle it. And instead of trying to keep up with the trends of high-waist vs.low-rise, wedges vs. heels, (and well, that's all I can think of because I am not fashion savvy), I'm going to find my own style and stick with it. So if you see me rockin my cowboy boots that are oh-so passe from like 3 years ago, I'm wearing them because I like them. And heck, maybe I'll drag out that off-the-shoulder poncho that's still hanging in my closet...  (okay, I never actually had one of those, because they were on their way "out" before I got up the nerve to buy one).
I don't think I'm going to just let myself completely go (although it is tempting, and what better excuse than to do it in the name of fighting social injustices!), but I'm going to spend a lot less time worrying about it. I'm going to try to be healthy, but not be so focused on the 10 lbs I would like to lose. Because in the big picture - it really doesn't matter.  That's the point of this change.  I'm going to do a better job at spending my resources (time, energy, money) on what matters
Okay, that's it for now! 1 change a day is good. 

No comments: