Thursday, August 14, 2008

Irresistible Revolution

I'm reading Shane Claiborne's Irresistible Revolution.  It's a little early to review it as I'm only a quarter of the way through.  But so far the one thing that the book has taught me (or reminded me) is to see Jesus in everyone.  Matthew 25:40  "And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me."
That 5 year old being raped in Cambodia is Jesus. Would I really turn my back on Him? So why would I not rescue that child as I would rescue Jesus?
It's understandable to be overwhelmed by the enormity of the world's problems, but it can't be an excuse to not do something.
I think everyone has heard the story of the boy with the starfish, but if you have somehow missed it, here it is....

There was once a boy at the beach, picking up starfishes and throwing them back into the sea.
A man came along and told the boy: "Boy, there are thousands of starfishes all along the beach. You are not possibly going to be able to save every one of them."
The boy continued, picking up another starfish and throwing it back into the sea and said "It matters, to that starfish." And picking up another "and to that starfish", and another "and to that one"....

No individual is going to be able to stop world hunger. But we can each help a starfish. Maybe that will be one child, one family, one village.

No comments: